Companies that offer high quality windows and doors the most popular one is the uPVC version. The term uPVC stands for Unplasticised Poly Vinyl Chloride and this material has attained so much popularity because of the numerous benefits associated to it. Some of them are being discussed herein.
- It is energy efficient
- It is much safer to use
- It is more cost-effective than other materials
- Lastly, it requires minimum maintenance
Let us disuses how energy efficient windows installed on your Erie house will work:
- Each window and door made from this raw material would offer excellent insulation properties during winters and similarly, they keep the area cooler during summers.
- This is generally because of the reason that this material offers much better quality thermal insulation than other raw materials used in residential doors like aluminium, wood, etc.
- In the summer season, you’ll find it reflecting the entire heat energy sent by the sun towards you thereby keeping the area much cooler during the summer season.
- A very remarkable benefit is that it’ll help you save a significant amount of money as well that you would have paid as electricity bills.
- One more point is that if you replace your uPVC window, it could be recycled. Therefore, it is also an eco-friendly option.
In the past few years, window-manufacturing technology has evolved at a rapid pace. Today, the transoms are inexpensive, energy-efficient, durable, easy to operate and maintain. These high performance house windows not only make your abode more comfortable, but also help to bring down your electricity bill. Let's take a look at the features that go into making high performance casements.
- Low-e coating- The windowpanes of the traditional casements allow sunlight to pass through them throughout the day. Conversely, in the night, owing to radiative heat loss, the heat energy gained during the day once again goes back to the exteriors. To perk up the thermal strength of glass, a thin, virtually invisible metallic coating is applied on it. This low-e coating allows short-wave solar radiations to come in, but keep out long-wave sunrays. In simple words, it reflects the heat energy back to its source. Consequently, neither the interior heat is lost in winters nor exterior heat is gained in summers. You are actually able to cut down heating and cooling costs significantly.
- Gas fill- The space between the glazed glasses is filled with inert gas like argon, krypton or xenon. These non-reactive gases are chemically more stable. As they are heavier than air, therefore, they prevent heat loss due to convection. They also have lesser conductivity and for this reason, they proficiently avert loss of heat because of conduction. Thus, the gas fills effectively optimize the thermal performance as well as energy efficiency of house windows.
- Energy-efficient spacers-Despite of the presence of low-e coating and gas fill, heat loss as the result of conduction cannot be prevented if the spacers at the edge of the transoms are thermally inefficient. In conventional casements, spacers are usually made of aluminum. They are strong, durable and lightweight, but they literally to stop conduction heat loss. Structural foam is a better option as it is less conductive and thereby enhances the overall thermal performance of the house windows.
- Insulated frames- Yet another thermally weak link, window frames are responsible for one-third of heat loss. As compared to metal, fiberglass is a better choice because it is a poor conductor of heat. By decreasing the frame area, heat loss can be further reduced. However, with the decrease in the width of the frame, its strength also dwindles. Hence, stronger material should be used so as to make the frame a bit more resilient while keeping its thermal performance intact.
- Special films- To boost up the effectiveness of low-e coating, electrochromic films are placed in the space between the glazed glasses. These special films allow sunlight to pass through them, but they competently reduce the overall emissivity of the glass pane. In west-facing windows, if solar transmission is heating up the interiors of the house, then opt for special films that lower solar gains together with emissivity.
Home Improvement With Replacement Windows And Doors
in Erie , Pennsylvania
It is that time of the year again for a house window spring repair. Winter is almost over and I am excited about the prospects of summer. After months of cold hard weather and the season has taken its toll on the house you do need to take a few days to fix and repair.
Well today I want to share some few tips on repairing your house windows in time for the summer time.
First you need to make sure that you have the right tools for the house window project. I always tell my readers never to start a job without all the necessary tools in place. So you need to make sure that the following is available:
Glass of Proper Size that you will use to replace the old one with, a glass cutter for sizing the windows, putty knife or alternatively you can use a glazer or scraper, paint, pliers, paintbrush, chisel, razorblade scraper, linseed oil, heat gun or make that a soldering tool, window scraper, glazier's points and a hand cleaner. You also need to organize some work glover to protect your hands from the broken glass and all the debris.
Once you have all these then you are ready for your house window spring repair. Now let me provide some key tips about the actual repair process;
o You may have to remove the windows and replace screens on clean windows if you are dealing with interior storm windows.
o You must make sure that weather stripping provides a good seal. Examine that caulk lines carefully around the exterior windows before you begin.
o You can use a screw driver to probe the trim that is made of wood. This is found around the windows.
o You need to move faster with the house window spring repair process to beat the early rains that many damage your wood if exposed to the rain.
House Inspection - Windows Problem